Saturday, December 25, 2010

The 2010 Krampus List


Last week I was asked by my local paper, the Missoulian, to come up with a "best of" list for 2010...so I sort of did my own little twist.   In Xmas's past I've written about Krampus (click here to read my past post), the nasty little sidekick of Santa who dishes out coal and spankings, so I decided to do a Krampus List.   
Here's what I came up with:








A Krampus list
By Michael DeMeng, Missoula artist and art educator
Those of you who know me or my art are probably aware that I tend to like things on the shadier side of the street. Because of this, I decided to put together a more shadowy "Best of 2010" list. So, in honor of Santa's sinister sidekick - the diabolical looking guy who is responsible for the coal in the stockings - I present my Krampus List:




1. Best Album: "Dark Night of the Soul" by Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse. 
This is a freaky little album, nicely dark and demented with lots of cameos from the likes of Iggy Pop, Flaming Lips and David Lynch - yes, David Lynch. When you download the album off of iTunes you get a multimedia experience from Lynch. "Lost Highway"-esque photographs and mini films for each song. Weird stuff ... as you would expect.

2. Best Toy: Play-Doh Dr. Drill and Fill. 
Well, you guessed it. A Play-Doh dental kit and best yet, it comes with an electric drill. So next time the kids want to impersonate Lawrence Olivier in the film "Marathon Man," they will be ready.









3. Best Book: "Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary," by David Sedaris. 
I love listening to the audio book of Sedaris' "Holidays on Ice." A must for the cynical at heart. Here is a slightly twisted version of Aesop, if you're looking for something on the Grimm side.










4. Best App: Imut8er. 

I downloaded this for Halloween. Take a photo of a subject and transform their face into vampires, ghouls, zombies, etc. You want Uncle Larry to have piranha teeth and horns? You can do it. How about a powdered wig and a snout nose? Yep!






5. Best Art Exhibit: Tim Burton at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. 

There are lots of exhibits of great artists, but when you're putting together the Krampus List, how could the creator of "Beetlejuice" and "Edward Scissorhands" be denied? This was a collection of his sketches, paintings, polaroids and more. An amazing insight to a very twisted vision.










6. Best TV show: "The Walking Dead." 
Admittedly, I am vampire biased, so how could I deny "True Blood" the honors? However, zombies are back in fashion, and the "Walking Dead" is pretty phenomenal. There is evidence that zombie and vampire trends follow economic trends. Vampires for recessions, and zombies for boom times. Personally, I'm tired of the recession, so I'm giving the prize to "The Walking Dead."








7. Best Horror movie: "Human Centipede." Yikes! Really???!!!!!
2010 sucked when it came to horror movies. I almost chose the remake of the "Wolfman" for nostalgic reasons, or because Benicio del Toro did an amazing job replicating the bad acting of Lon Chaney Jr. in the original. Instead I'm giving it to "Human Centipede." Not because it is a good movie (which it is not) but because it is the yuckiest, grossest, ickiest concept for a movie, ever. You can look up the trailer on YouTube, but get the kids out of the room. It will scare the crap out of you.







Well there is my list...if you're interested in some of the other 2010 Best of 2010 lists (which includes a list from Pearl Jam's Jeff Ament) you can go here: http://missoulian.com/entertainment/music/article_f2b99468-0f29-11e0-8db8-001cc4c03286.html
Merry Xmas and Gruss von Krampus
M

10 comments:

Marfi-topia said...

yay!thank you Michael...now it really feels like Christmas:)

Michele Lynch Art said...

Loved the Tim Burton exhibit and the app Imut8er! Thanks for sharing! Michele

sue said...

Mr Burton's show was AMAZING - what an archivist! My son also voted for human centipede as best and ickiest movie EVER Happy Christmas to you too - hopefully you got nice shiny stuff (or in your case maybe rusty would be better?) and no coal or smacks!

KRCampbellArt said...

I watched 20 min of Human Centipede and that's all I could take. I like horror but this was really creepy. For anyone with Netflix it is on the stream so you can check it out for as long as you last.
My pic, but who is asking??, would be paranormal activity or for this year black swan.
Thanks for the fun list!

Barbara Moustafa aka RustyMermaid said...

Awesome list
Happy 2011

Parabolic Muse said...

This is truly krampy stuff. It kinda made my day.

JonesMoore Studio Art, Lisa JonesMoore said...

Fantastic Michael! You should try to catch the new show on the History channel called "Oddities"--right up your alley. believe this place is in NYC.

Anonymous said...

I'm off to check out Human Centipede...cool!

artlover said...

You can watch Human Centipede in Netflix.
The new wave for online videos.
I'm loving it so far!
You can get one month free viewing when you sign up!
http://www.netflix.ca/?autoRedirect=off&mqso=80027678

Parabolic Muse said...

no video here.
and i already commented here, so i won't comment again because it just makes me look desperate.

thanks for the phun!